Elguja Gvazava: "This is the most important for diplomatic success"

Chairman of the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Abkhazia Elguja (Gia) Gvazava in the next monthly interview talking about the important events in our country in May.

In may the most important event of the civilized world was summit of NATO. As the words of State Secretary of U.S.A. Hillary Clinton it was one of the last on which expansion has not occurred.

- Let's start with the fact that the NATO summit was actually a platform for the higher ranks of the leading countries in their speeches reaffirmed their support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Georgia within the borders recognized internationally. Moreover, the assignment status of Georgia post graduate student believe a major success. It is not difficult to guess what should be the next step for post graduate students. Such support from the leading countries of the North Atlantic Alliance, as well as two weeks after the summit, a visit to Georgia, State Secretary of U.S.A Hillary Clinton is resounding statement that we have powerful friends, there is someone to intercede for us. I consider this as the significant diplomatic success.

What would you say, a country which territory is occupied can become a member of the alliance, while maintaining internationally recognized borders?

- For the world society is well remembered the precedent of Germany when the eastern part of which remained under the hegemony of the Soviet Union and the Western was a member of NATO. The picture of today which is there is well known for everyone. Georgia needs the international community as a united, strong and long-term state. Fear that the occupied territories could become an obstacle to NATO membership misplaced.

Period of aggression in 2008 has parallels with today. Is there any basis for these fears a possible invasion of Russia in autumn?

- The parallels might exist, but fear not! What would you say, what could stop the Russian aggression in 2008? Indeed, the Kremlin wanted to "enter" in Georgia by Soviet methods inherent to it, if not the pressure of the international community, where the force was crucial by the United States.

Although Moscow all the time demonstrate that is not considered to anybody, and even the U.S., where the situation is contrary to the interests of Russia?

- It is not true! This is just an artificially simulated position.

In the report the EU (the implementation of "neighborhood policy" in Georgia in 2011), we are advised to review the law "About Occupied Territories". Is it correct?

- Personally, I think it is not serious... I am explaining for those annoying word "occupation" and "law": as soon as there will be de-occupation of Georgian territories, I assure you these words will disappear immediately from the lexicon of Georgian politics.

The president of Serbia said: "Abkhazia and South Ossetia can be independent, but Kosovo not" who for himself is going to recognize of Abkhazia and South Ossetia as independent countries.

- Speech of Serbian president is very strange, who has a similar problem in Kosovo... By the way, Georgia has not recognized Kosovo as an independence country, we have distanced from this process... I can not say what prompted him to take this step. As far as I know, Serbia owes Russia. Whereas it is known for me Kremlin on the other hand offered more money, probably there was made some sort of deal between them. Even if Serbia recognizes the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia to exaggerate this fact is not worthy, as the special significance it will not have.

How do you think will be a success if the proposed U.S. Secretary of State documents neutral status for residents of the occupied territory of Georgia?

- Neutral passports in Georgia have long engaged for help Abkhazians and Ossetians are used not only to the rights of Georgian citizens, but also all possible and impossible concessions. But the new documents they are allowed to move in Europe and the United States, as well as free training. From this once again we are talking Abkhazians and Ossetians, many countries have long ago got rid of the plague and the Soviet time and for them it is exact time to follow them an also join us to adjust to the western way. De facto ministers criticized by such conciliatory gestures, I think this time they would not betray position to Kremlin, but we know that this is not their position but it is the punishment of Kremlin. The main thing is that the population of the occupied Abkhazia and Tskhinvali still take advantage of this opportunity and realizing that only with our help and unity with the Georgia could be free and live in a developed country which is luxury for them today.

Mr. Elguja what can you tell us about Georgian population of Abkhazia, ie refugees should not they enjoy the same status?

- To put this matter thus is not necessary! We should try every way to snatch from the jaws of a lion of our fellow citizens even if we need excessive caresses which I personally think is diplomacy. Georgian refugees driven from his native Abkhazia does not distinguish from the rest of the population today, and remember what a ragged, emaciated and starving, we were in the 90th. Now we have another problem and I am sure we will finally overcome it.

Print
Biography
 Copyright 2010 All rights reserved
developed by websolutions