Elguja Gvazava "Enable public diplomacy at the political level"

Chairman of the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Abkhazia Elguja (Gia) Gvazava in the October policy brief column "From month to month," talks about the relevance of public diplomacy.

Mr. Gia, your comments a month after parliamentary elections. What's next for the country and what is the policy in the occupied territories?

- First and foremost, I want to once again congratulate the Georgian population holding of democratic parliamentary elections in a very competitive environment. We have once again proved to the world that the transfer of power to a democratic and peaceful means great merit of Georgian society. As for the plans in relation to the occupied territories, it is premature to draw any conclusions. This requires a deeper and more thorough study of the new government. Unequivocally that the successes achieved in the country brought by the reforms must not only survive, but also significantly increase the progress success. I think that will be saved previously developed the idea of ​​the strategy - "engagement without recognition", in fact, will involve programs presented by the coalition during his election campaign. Bear in mind that the problem of Abkhazia is directly linked to world politics.

Mr. Gia, it is believed that the key solutions Abkhaz conflict is still in Moscow. And the West, calling Russia an occupier, often hinted about the need to establish relations with the neighboring country. As you seem to find common ground with the occupiers?

- Actually, the conflict can be solved in two ways: by force or negotiation. It is clear that force is eliminated, so is the path of dialogue. Fully understand how to deal with the invader and rapist, but still we have to find a form of communication that does not infringe upon our dignity, and at the same will be true in the end, Scoring, though it is easy to say this, but do not something simple. Can we do this, depends on our diplomatic moves and, of course, from Russia. Roughly speaking, the political bargaining has to be very pragmatic. But can not cross "red lines." Again, it is very difficult, so the Georgian leader said that the problem of Abkhazia would not venture for a year and two.

Recently, the Prime Minister of Georgia Bidzina Ivanishvili spoke about increasing powers of Adjara autonomy as well as and in the whole region. How does this impact on the structures of the Autonomous Republic of Abkhazia?

- You probably mean the decentralization? I personally do not think is correct long-standing practice between the center and the regions. The same annoying and Abkhazians in their time. Regions should be given more administrative and economic freedom, and even the autonomy - and even more so. And this is reflected in the mirror image of the Abkhaz structures. Although, I think that they, as the legitimate representatives of Abkhazia should be given more rights, since the issue of Abkhazia is problematic, and I think in the process of working on this problem a lot of things become clear. The center should offer the Abkhaz autonomy more authority than Adjara. In the future, if all goes well and the conflict be settled without necessarily first questions: army, as well as the language (eg, Russian as a language of international communication), passports, police, etc. While this is not an easy question, but I think to decide. Greater political freedom is not terrible, as long as the basic principle remained: Abkhazia is and always will be a part of Georgia and no referendum can not solve its separation from the country. If any region of "wants" to separate and require a referendum, it will be held throughout Georgia.

Based on the above subject matter, it is like on a confederal model?

- No, it's just the elements of the Confederate, and that is a referendum to settle the unpleasant aspects of a confederal type of government.

State Minister for Reintegration Zakareishvili talked about restoring the Georgian-Abkhaz relations. Are there real resources and how do you see the process?

- I think the most ideal to use public diplomacy at the political level. But as far as today free of Abkhazia in their elections? Even if the conditions of an independently managed by the Kremlin, the Abkhaz would be interested in contact with us, even for obvious reasons neafishirovanno it easier to start a dialogue, and in the future, and communication. Those seeds of discontent are already sprouting between the Abkhaz and the Kremlin, we should use for the Abkhaz-Georgian rapprochement. In terms of resources - is the generation that grew up and worked together, have a common kinship, service and good neighborly relations. It is this generation understands what position were. A new generation by Russian propaganda sees Georgia as the aggressor and the enemy country. That is why you need public diplomacy to communicating with us, know this, and not distorted background of the conflict. After the restoration of public diplomacy, we can agree on many things, including the broad autonomy. But while that is very strongly influenced by the Kremlin. If Abkhazia will convey to the world community, as they trampled Russian tarpaulin boots, we have to use (in a good way) to this situation and, together with the civilized world community to help once and for all get rid of this "good will" of Moscow. But for this, we need to mobilize all the instruments, including the potential for legitimate structures and experience of the refugee community.

Recently, continued intensively capture various objects in Tbilisi refugees and socially vulnerable citizens under the pretext that they are homeless and want to get a roof over his head. How is it that a month ago, law-abiding people suddenly resorted to illegal activities?

- I sincerely sympathize and understand the hardest fate of those refugees, which the state has not provided any shelter or compensation, and to this day are dependent on relatives or live in rented apartments. Even more unbearable, a situation when families expand, acquire new ones.

But the fact is that most of the illegal invasion are not refugees. This and vulnerable, and visitors from the region and lost their homes for various reasons, and is a group of refugees who have already paid compensation or provide a living space in the region. In that case, how legitimate it would be part of the state to meet the demands of these people?

I doubt that these processes occur spontaneously. Where 1,600 people could know the location of the sites, which are mostly on the public balance sheet? I think some sort of organized force that incites them to illegal activities. Perhaps the authorities will study the situation in the occupied sites, and all will be resolved by legal means. I could not agree with the Minister for Refugees and Accommodation David Darakhvelidze that many of these actions constitute a criminal offense.

A few days ago the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Abkhazia in the media has also distributed a statement in which it called on the refugees from Abkhazia to refrain from such action, resist provocative appeals and be guided by the fact that the new political forces that came to power the country, one of the main priorities is Abkhazian problem, including housing for refugees.

Print
Biography
 Copyright 2010 All rights reserved
developed by websolutions