"20th anniversary of the heroic battles"

On the night of 15th of March 16th, 1993 a large-scale military operation to engage Sukhumi. Stormed the city from the sea, air and land. Defenders showed unprecedented courage and bravery. The attack on Sukhumi separatist their accomplices - the Russian military and the North Caucasian mercenaries turned into a complete rout. Victory was largely due to the Georgian artillery. It was an open aggression against Georgia, where Russian forces for the first time failed. Recall representatives of the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Abkhazia:

Tamaz Khubua, deputy chairman of the Supreme Council:

- Twenty years have passed since then. Of course, each of us, these memories are too heavy, even after so many years, but from these tragic events and individual memories of the tragic events of recent history is our country. In this occasion the Presidium of the Supreme Council approved a comprehensive plan. The Supreme Council also invited the Georgian Parliament to declare 2013 the year the victims of ethnic cleansing. This is our political, moral and ethical responsibility to our citizens, the country and the memory of those killed in these battles. It is noteworthy that the federal government involved in the problems of Abkhazia and actively responded to our proposal. Together with the Ministry of Reintegration scheduled meeting of the Georgian and Abkhaz youth territories, in the Ministry of Diaspora - a joint drive to Hamburg Museum, which will be marked by day Abkhazia trip to the Czech Republic and the meeting with the Georgian diaspora. Recently, the Supreme Council for the Saite A\R Abkhazia published a list of the victims of ethnic cleansing conducted in Abkhazia occupiers and separatists (www.scara.gov.ge; www.Abkhazia-parliament.gov.ge). Are scheduled conferences, round-table discussions on the issue of Abkhazia.

16th of March public Abkhazia will honor soldiers who died in the heroic battles of 15-18 March 1993 at the approaches of Sukhumi, meet with war veterans, family members of those killed in these battles, the Georgian armed forces, with the military leadership and the general public.

I should note that in the 20 years taken measures to address the problems of Abkhazia did not meet our requirements. I mean the international political organizations, who expressed his support only a "disturbance." Let everyone know that before the solution to the problem of Abkhazia, Georgia did not take place as a sovereign country.

Elguja Gvazava, chairman of the Supreme Council of Abkhazia:

- If you look at the March events through the prism of history, we can safely say that it was a successful victory over the Russian imperial evil. Georgian soldiers, we can say, with his bare hands, and that is written off at the time the Soviet weapon was a brave resistance and defeated the enemy armed to the teeth, who represented the Confederate mercenaries Armenian soldiers, Cossacks, the Russian regular army. So, the Russian army is actually lost the battle with the soldiers, recruits, who first had to take up arms. Here I will say that we should not trust that Russia would allow us to win this terrible war, but still could complete it and more worthy.

Mister Elguja, after such a successful battle March unclear why the Georgians have returned to their former military positions, in River Gumista how to explain?

- The fact that this war was a loser and lost her not warriors, and our political "leaders." Of course I do not mean everyone.

March 15-18, after a stubborn and heroic resistance Sukhumi Russian defenders realized that Georgian security officials should disarm. July 27 in Sochi signed a disarmament agreement, exactly two months after that, and fell Sukhumi ... Why agree to the Georgian side, including the political elite?

- Policies is the action, not mere speculation. We, the local competent politicians deprived of power and strength, not to accept a reasonable solution.... Of course, we did not agree with the course of events. Moreover, three weeks before the fall of Sukhumi I, along with a delegation from Sukhumi went to Eduard Shevardnadze, to convince him that it was necessary to take a more reasonable steps, or else lose Abkhazia. Alas, it was useless to talk to him about it. Asked him to at least delay the start of the school year in order to prevent a large flow of people back into the city. In response to the first person who has overall responsibility for the security of its people and the country, we heard this: "Do not panic! All negotiated and agreed, the Russian will do so, as we agreed. "After leaving with the office, I had made the same request to his countrymen on television, but my television appearance was not broadcast a .... It was a "fact-chm control." It was a real chaos controlled from the top, as the decision is taken and the so-called Georgian policy, ordained by the Kremlin, ie fifth Collon. If not for a third force, no conflict and would not be in Abkhazia. There was nothing to share, as the Abkhaz how a small ethnic group, and so without it had all the good ...

Mister Elguja today Abkhaz side is seeking international genocide denial, including Gagra stadium, while the international community has recognized this. Simultaneously, the Abkhazians against establishing relations with the new government of Georgia. Do I need to deny the genocide in Abkhazia and in such a case should come our society?

- We have always been and are now ready for mutual repentance and reconciliation. Are they prepared for the same, or again reject the deed of cruelty, saying thus liberating Abkhazia from Georgian "bloodsuckers"? Videotape izobrazhayushaya Gagra tragedy that actually existed in Sukhumi and the Supreme Council also looked at. It was the 45-minute tape. Do not know who was shooting, but I know that Chechens have sold us. When I was about to see the light went out, so put off until my return from Tbilisi (then left for Tbilisi). Then it was not possible to copy the video. Once arrived, he asked about the tape. They said that the security services have taken away. Appealed to the then Chairman of the Jury Keshelava, but he said that he sent the tape to Tbilisi. And she was gone. Of course, the Russian KGB did not like the presence of a tape depicting the horrific footage. Many of my friends watched the tape, including the Abkhaz people. Assume that the tragic events of Gagra was not or do not even have a list of the victims of ethnic cleansing (about 5,000 people). To recognize the genocide, it is enough, and the fact, as J. Shartava shot and his associates, if you will, the priests - Father Andria (Kurashvili) and Subdeacon, Abkhaz nationality Yuri Anua. According to international rules, the fact of genocide is not something that the shooting, but persecution on political, national, cultural or religious reasons. I think the only resource for reconciliation - it's love and truth. In Sukhumi during the war lived 2200 Abkhazians, many of them were political leaders, such as Al.Gogua - the first chairman of the "Aidgylara" Oleg Shamba, and others who stood out anti-Georgian sentiment. No one touched them. On the contrary, at their request, we provided them with a peaceful solution to the city. In the battle of 15-18 March 1993 killed two of my namesake - Oscar Abkhaz and Georgian Gia Gvazava. This is not an isolated case. This is the greatest resource for reconciliation - equally blood shed on both sides. This is the true God and there, too, is true and what is not where the violence.

David Gvadzabiya, member of the Supreme Council:

Mister David, would have changed the fate of the war in Abkhazia, if the Georgian army after 15th-18th of March defeat of the enemy moved forward to?

- It's hard to say. Do not forget that at the time under the guise of the Confederates, the Abkhaz Guard bagramyan Battalion, Cossacks and other mercenaries have actually fought against Russia. March 15-18, our guys fought heroically against an armed to the teeth of the Russian special battalion. I bow to those who died defending our city, and once again my condolences semyam dead. The kingdom of heaven! The day after the attacks of the enemy to defend the city to the military joined the majority of the people of our district. The youngest was 15 years old and older than 48. At the time, I headed by the Defence Council Gulripshsky area, and remember how it all happened. Volunteers, inexperienced people in the fighting were adamant defense of the Motherland. I repeat, we do not attack these battles, and protected. One and all, young and old, as best they could, came to the defense of the city. From my raiona 5 battalions fought in the days of March. Among the defenders prevailed gulripshtsev population, among whom were well trained, technically educated, elite officers. I will never forget March 16, when the 2nd Battalion was prepared on the front. In BMP sat my friend Vic Lochoshvili, head of financial-economic service Gulripshi battalion. That day, he assisted in the preparation of equipment for battle. I asked, "Where are you going?" To him sat his 16-year-old nephew Koba Janelidze. I took the boy by the arm and forcibly pulled out of the BMP - "not necessarily itdi you there ..." On that day, Vic died ... And there were a lot of heroes. Sparing their lives defending their land .... This Georgian spirit, which no one could break.

Mister David, it is clear that the Georgians defended their land, but then the same thing Abkhazians say ...

- But, we're protected from the attack of the North Caucasus rebels, Russian, Cossacks and other mercenaries? It's clear that Abkhazia Abkhaz home too, but we did not start the war? Unfortunately, the side and some on the Georgian side and accuse us of inciting war, but it is not so. We all know how everything was going to war. Ardzinba as threatened us from the podium - "I'll make you the first to shoot" ... What we are accused, including the Georgians entered the tanks in Abkhazia? But this is not the army? It was only a few pieces of equipment from the Ministry of Internal Affairs Ministry, which itself Ardzinba to establish the order in the railway. Although then he himself has used this fact to the outbreak of war. According to the Constitution of Georgia, the country has the right to deploy and move troops and even military forces on its territory if it sees any threat. Did Abkhazia was not Georgian territory? Of course, it would be better if this would have happened, what happened, but let us remember that we were preparing Georgia's enemies? How many times threatened: "We'll have you a second Fergana" ...

If so, it may not be worth to give in to provocation, not to be drawn into a war forced upon them?

- In any case, "Fergana" was inevitable! Inaction would be even more lethal! Although, you can be more prepared with the political and military point of view. Do you remember this expression of the prewar period in Sukhumi, "When Georgians lived quietly, while the Abkhaz weapons bought"? We, the deputies, not only in Abkhazia, Georgia, and generally had all the information created Ardzinba Abkhazian Guard - how many, who they are, where are located, car numbers, etc., but the appropriate response was not....

Why? Because of our carelessness?

- No! And against whom, and why we had to take up arms? Battalions build we started after the war, and then for self-protection, ie to protect the public. We have made every effort to avoid conflict. Protest demarche expressed in terms of care of the parliament chamber. And today we have a peaceful position. Heartbroken war refugee still thinking how to talk to Abkhazia, although it is difficult to believe that they are capable of something on your own...

Mister David, recently de facto Abkhaz representative said that in Georgia after the change of government is likely to resume the Georgian-Abkhaz relations. Do you think there is really really resource reconciliation, because this was the conditions and after the change of power Shevardnadze?

- This is a complex topic. Yes or no real resources for back, you still need to try. Political, or through public diplomacy (public diplomacy should be involved at the state level, not at the initiative of individuals), through negotiations on the international scene, it does not matter in what format. We must try all possible moves outputs.

Zurab Mebonia, head of department of the Supreme Council:

Mr. Zurab esteemed as Georgians defended by a large-scale attack in March 1993?

- According to the intelligence of the enemy attack, we were expecting more on March 1, and then on March 4, then the 12th. All of these days were very tense. According to the calculation of the enemy, the Georgians are tired of waiting for so many days in the trenches, it was relatively easy to win. Therefore the attack began on the night of March 15. Originally bombed positions, then launched a massive bombing the city, and then connect their air force, which Abkhazia had, it was the Russian Su-25. After a 3-hour bombing threw flares to light after a position to facilitate transfer of land military. Two battalions were to cross the Gumista and prepare the base for the 2000 rebels, to open the road to Sukhumi. At a massive bombing we did not respond, wait time. Opened fire when the enemy began to cross the border. We bombed for 5 hours, it's a great time, so it was a lot of sacrifice on their part. 2000 those fighters who had to cross the river Gumista actually stayed on the other side, either dead or wounded. After such a defense they retreated. 16th again heavy fighting. Our artillery, one might say, in those days worked wonders. Actually, that from one point to another battalion to relocate, to equip the shelter in the dugouts, ensure delivery of ammunition to fire, and the link takes about 12-14 days, but we managed in 15 minutes, was bombed from different perspectives...

And how is it managed?

- It was, one might say, our joint invention with Colonel Guram Grubelashvili and engineer Nodar log. A freight rail platform we welded cannon. Exactly three days and three nights we were working on this, awake, and finally built our famous "armored train" of eight guns. Train was very successful. We were shot within 20 minutes - a few hundred rounds at the enemy. As soon as the bombing ended, immediately change position, so that the enemy did not find our coordinates. 17th night of the enemy was again attempt to break through the line Gumista, but our artillery protected the front line from the air, sea and ground attacks. 18th enemy finally withdrew. The Commander of the Armed Forces of Georgia, General Kamkamidze learned of the Georgian minimal loss of manpower, I was pleasantly surprised, which did not happen, he said, in Afghanistan, African countries, but what you stand these days, such is nowhere to be seen. This means that you can now compete with any part of the regular army of russia armed forces. The main thing now reinforcing forces prepare to attack.

Although the forward and did not advance...

- Yes, but I understand the reason for this in Tbilisi, after the war. Shevardnadze himself said this on television: - "18th Yeltsin called me and said, in case of invasion by Georgian forces in Gudauta, I am not responsible for what you have to deal with the regular army of the Russian Federation. That's why I gave the order to attack. " Personally, I think it is a mistake to Shevardnadze. Yes, Russia has threatened to, but how else? But we have so fought with the Russian army ... General Kamkamidze then in Abkhazia has not been seen, he was called back to Tbilisi. As we gain experience and were ready for a decisive response to the enemy, that's when we disarmed.... It turns out that the March battle we Won in Russia?-

By the way, on our side of the war to Russian.

The good guys were. Boris Goroka with us defended Sukhumi, died in September. After the war, we have presented on the title character, but the order to transfer his mother and did not succeed. This is the tragedy of the Abkhazian war, when one part of us survives the Russian homeland, the second part with us is protected from their attacks, and the third - hlodnokrovno watching all this ... Each episode fighting 15-16-17-18 March was an example of military ingenuity and heroism. It is a pity that many of the events, which in those days covered neizvestnosyu, but then we remember how our young guys gave for the most expensive home - life! I remember when the tankers do not come out of the tank, not yet fully shelled and burned in the war machine ... This is a feat! And how many of these have been for the war. And the worst thing in this war is that, to maintain the territorial maintain the integrity of Georgia did not have so much life sacrificed young heroes.

Print
Biography
 Copyright 2010 All rights reserved
developed by websolutions